This is a warming butternut squash soup with coconut milk is perfect for fall weather. Butternut is packed with a range of vitamins and minerals and is seasonal from September to December.
We love serving this soup around Halloween time as there are plenty of Butternut Squash in stores and it’s a great complement to a Haloween theme and colour scheme.
Ingredients you’ll Need for your Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
- Organic butternut squash
- Organic onion
- Smoked paprika
- Freshly grated ginger
- Organic vegetable stock
- Organic coconut milk
- Chopped coriander/cilantro
Swapping out Ingredients
If you don’t have Butternut Squash you can easily make this soup with Sweet Potato and the onion can be swapped for leek.
You can use either vegetable stock or chicken if you so choose.
If you don’t have coconut milk either replace with more stock or use a bit of milk or cream. If you are using milk or cream add it just before serving to stop it from separating.
Nutritional Value of the Recipe
One single cup of butternut squash provides more than 450% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin A and more than 50% of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C, making it a great immune support recipe when the weather turns colder.
Butternut squash also contains Vitamin E, B, magnesium, potassium and manganese.
Butternut Soup Recipe Variations
If you have a bit of extra time and would like to add more depth of flavour, we recommend roasting the butternut squash in the oven before adding it to the soup.
You can do this by preheating the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6 and roasting the butternut for 40-60 minutes until it is nice and brown. For extra flavour drizzle with a bit of honey a few minutes before removing it from the oven completely.
Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
- Heat the olive oil in a large, saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions become soft and translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Next, add the spices and cook until they become fragrant. Then add the butternut squash and stir until the butternut is coated with the spices.
- Add the stock and coconut milk, then simmer for around 20 minutes until the butternut squash softens fully.
- Once the butternut squash is tender, remove from heat and puree the mixture with an immersion blender until smooth. (A regular blender or food processor can also be used for this step). Add the lemon juice, taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
Recipe Equipment Links
SHOP NOW UK | SHOP NOW USA