I love the versatility of this sweet potato curry, giving a hint of sweetness to every dish. It’s also a great pick me up if you’re feeling a little under the weather or when you need a comforting dish to warm you up.
This curry with sweet potato and chard is a healthy plant-based recipe filled with flavour. It’s a blend of curry, vegetables and saucy goodness that can easily be batch or slow-cooked. We like making this mid-week for a healthy treat.
A Nutritious Sweet Potato Curry Combination
Sweet potato used to be an undervalued vegetable, but it’s rightfully gained popularity since restaurants started to serve them as fries, providing a healthier alternative to potato fries.
Sweet potato is packed with Vitamin A, C and antioxidants making it a must-have staple on any table. Add a bit of Tahini for protein and chard that gives a Vitamin K boost and you have a bowl of greatness without working very hard.
The peak season for Sweet Potato is from October through to December, but you can generally find them in supermarkets all year round. We think that this nutritious vegetable is the perfect veggie for immune support in the Autumn and Winter months. It’s a warming and filling comfort food that will keep you healthy and well when the nights draw in.
You can swap the sweet potato for butternut, the chard for spinach and the tahini for peanut butter or even chopped peanuts if you don’t have either in the fridge. There is no reason why you can’t use similar or complementary flavours in the dish.
Don’t be afraid to experiment with the ingredients and flavours on your own, that’s where the fun of cooking at home starts! Serve this saucy curry with warm garlic naan or garlic bread for dipping and sharing.
Sweet Potato Curry
- 2 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tikka masala paste
- 1 chilli finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 medium-sized organic sweet potatoes (roughly 430g) cut into chunks
- 400g can chopped organic tomatoes
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 300g organic chard washed and chopped, use both the leaves and stem
- 3 tbsp tahini paste or peanut butter
- 15 g chopped fresh coriander/cilantro
- 1 tbsp organic lemon juice
- Over medium in a large saucepan add the coconut oil and fry the onion until it becomes soft and slightly golden. Stir in the garlic, cumin, chilli and curry paste until it becomes fragrant.
- Add the sweet potato and tomato with the vegetable stock and another 200ml of water. Cover the pan and simmer for 30 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Next, stir in the chopped chard and cook for a further 8-10 minutes until the chard becomes wilted and the stalks tender. Stir in the coriander/cilantro leaves, lemon juice and tahini, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve with warm garlic naan bread.