A satisfying and warming Red Lentil Soup with Lemon, perfect for batch cooking and serving on a rainy or cold winter’s day as part of a Flexitarian or Vegetarian diet. Add a bit of chilli for extra oomph.
Red lentils are easy and quick to cook, no soaking required. To speed up the process you can use a pressure cooker instead of a saucepan. Alternatively use a crockpot on low heat for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. For pressure cooking, heat your pressure cooker on high and cook for 10-15 minutes under step 2 listed in the recipe.
Red Lentils for Soup
Red lentils are high in protein, fibre, Vitamin B, calcium, iron and potassium. It’s good for gut health, a great alternative to animal protein. It’s definitely a good option for meatless Monday.
You can experiment with green lentils for this recipe, but red is my prefered option for sure.
Recipe Variations – Adding More Vegetables
If you’d like to add more veggies to this soup, slightly reduce the amount of red lentils. Then and add a chopped carrot or two, leeks, tomato and even green french beans.
Making the Croutons
To make the croutons you can use your favourite bread, I tend to use a whole grain or brown bread, but french loaf or white will work just as well. Using a smokey cheese is highly recommended, either vegan or vegetarian, as it adds a depth of flavour to the dish. The process of making croutons are super simple, it’s a bit like making toast in the oven with a sprinkle of cheese.
Make sure you check on the croutons frequently so that it’s toasted and crispy but not burned.
Easy Red Lentil Soup with Lemon
- 1 organic onion chopped
- 2 tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 organic garlic cloves
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp coriander/cilantro leaf
- the juice of one organic lemon
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 140 g split red lentils
- 1.5 litres organic vegetable stock
- 1 handful chopped fresh coriander to serve
- 1 chopped chilly (optional)
For the Croutons
- 4 slices of bread cubed
- a few splashes of olive oil
- a sprinkling of herbs of your choice
- smokey cheese for topping traditional or vegan
For the Croutons
- Put the cubed bread in a baking tray, toss in a sprinkle of herbs and a bit of olive oil. Toast on a high grill setting in the oven until crispy, then turn them over. Sprinkle with cheese and toast a bit more until the cheese has melted and become crispy – just enough so it doesn't burn. Let it cool for a few minutes.
For the Soup
- Add the onion and olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Fry the onions until they soften, then add the garlic, ground cumin and coriander until it becomes fragrant.
- Next, add the lentils and stir until they are coated, then add the stock and simmer on low for 40-45 mins until the lentils disintegrate.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the lemon juice and season to taste. Dish up, sprinkle with croutons and coriander leaves.
Batch Cooking and Freezing Red Lentil Soup
This recipe can easily be doubled and frozen for later. Re-heat in the microwave or over medium heat on the hob. Lentil soup should be ok to freeze for up to six months.